The Development Services department provides leadership in the planning and development areas and facilitates citizen involvement to establish long-term visioning and community-based plans to ensure Castlegar is a safe, attractive and sustainable community.
- community and land use planning
- mapping and GIS
- subdivision and development approvals
- building regulation and inspection
- business licensing
- bylaw enforcement (zoning, building, parking, noise, unsightly premises)
For a summary of development applications and department services objectives, refer to The City of Castlegar’s 2016 Annual Report.
The City of Castlegar has a number of Master Plans that serve as a guide for our citizens, City Council members and other stakeholders regarding the future physical development of the City. These plans provide a framework for preserving Castlegar’s unique character, ensuring its diversity, supporting investment and promoting desired change. You may view the City of Castlegar's Master Plans below.
Boards and Committees
There are two boards within the Development Services Department:
- Advisory Planning Commission is appointed by City Council to review and assess submitted development applications
- Board of Variance is an independent and impartial body that considers variances to the Castlegar Zoning Bylaw. The Board has the authority to grant variances in situations where compliance with the Zoning Bylaw would cause a person undue hardship.
For member information, visit Boards and Committees page.
Development Services Department
460 Columbia Avenue
Castlegar, B.C. V1N 1G7