The Development Services department provides leadership in the planning and development areas and facilitates citizen involvement to establish long-term visioning and community-based plans to ensure Castlegar is a safe, attractive and sustainable community.
During City Hall closure there will be a Planning and Building Application and Plan Drop Box out front of City Hall. Hours of the drop box are 8:30 am to 10:30 am each day. Applicants are also encouraged to submit electronically by emailing email@example.com or contact staff directly if they need to make alternative arrangements.
All payments must be made by cheque and can be deposited into the City of Castlegar’s mail box at anytime.
Inspections must be arranged directly with the Building Official (250-365-8961).
- community and land use planning
- mapping and GIS
- subdivision and development approvals
- building regulation and inspection
- business licensing
- bylaw enforcement (zoning, building, parking, noise, unsightly premises)
The City of Castlegar has a number of Master Plans that serve as a guide for our citizens, City Council members and other stakeholders regarding the future physical development of the City. These plans provide a framework for preserving Castlegar’s unique character, ensuring its diversity, supporting investment and promoting desired change. You may view the City of Castlegar's Master Plans below.
Boards and Committees
There are two boards within the Development Services Department:
- Advisory Planning Commission is appointed by City Council to review and assess submitted development applications
- Board of Variance is an independent and impartial body that considers variances to the Castlegar Zoning Bylaw. The Board has the authority to grant variances in situations where compliance with the Zoning Bylaw would cause a person undue hardship.
For member information, visit Boards and Committees page.
Development Services Department
460 Columbia Avenue
Castlegar, B.C. V1N 1G7