Columbia Avenue Redevelopment - Phase 2
Copcan Civil Ltd. is the project contractor and can be reached by:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (778) 363-2538
The City of Castlegar and the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure are completing upgrades to Columbia Avenue/Highway 22 from 18th to 24th Street. The project renews the life of underground water and storm utilities and improves transportation facilities for both pedestrians and highway users. It also improves community safety and accessibility, provides more mobility options, and promotes economic development and tourism in Castlegar.
Columbia Avenue Redevelopment - Phase 2 includes:
- Adding a two-way centre turning lane to improve vehicle safety and traffic flow;
- Providing safe cycle lanes for cyclists and other active transportation users;
- Replacing aging water mains and services;
- Replacing aging and undersized storm sewer mains to improve resilience to climate change;
- Installing new storm drainage infrastructure including curb and gutter;
- Repaving Columbia Avenue/Hwy 22;
- Installing street trees, banner poles, street furniture and improved bus shelter facilities with USB charging stations;
- Connecting existing sidewalks with new, wider & more accessible sidewalks; and
- New sculpture pads to expand ScultptureWalk.
FortisBC relocated an overhead electricity line along Columbia Avenue to support efforts to improve the highway system in Castlegar. Telus, Shaw and Columbia Broadband lines have also been relocated.
On January 13, the City hosted an online open house with the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure to give the community an opportunity to learn more, ask questions and discuss concerns. View the recorded open house.
Phone (250) 365-8995
Manager of Engineering & Infrastructure
Phone (250) 365-8982
Phone (250) 304-8133
Project team delivered project information to businesses & homes in the project area
ONLINE public open house
Pre-construction work began
March → August 2021