Planning and Development Services
Castlegar is a small city with a big heart and BIG Ideas. It’s a place where opportunity meets lifestyle. We are a community with a sense of place, created by people with purpose and passion. Living is affordable, housing forms are diverse, neighborhoods are complete and inclusive, and the community is well serviced. We are a connection point that unites the region - a hub from which to explore life's adventure. Nature and technology are our enablers. We have opened our eyes to what’s possible and live happily ever after in Castlegar (OCP, 2011).
Planning and Development Services is responsible for ensuring that the community grows in a manner that meets the basic needs of all residents by ensuring our community is resilient, connected, inclusive, and accessible to everyone.
- climate and sustainability
- community and land use planning
- development approvals and subdivision
- building regulation and inspection
- business licensing
- mapping and GIS
- boards and committees
Property Information Resources
The City of Castlegar may have land available to support your project. Please contact Development Services staff for more details.
Routine Records Available through Development Services include:
- All Bylaws and Bylaw Amendments which have been given First Reading or Adopted.
- All Minutes of Council or Advisory Committees such as the Advisory Planning Commission and Board of Variance (unless in-camera).
- Building Plans, only the current registered owners of a property may access and get copies of building plans for their building, in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Registered owners can authorize a representative to access plans and get copies on their behalf.
- Public Hearing Minutes provided that those who have made submission have been notified and consented to the disclosure of personal information as recorded. Names and addresses may be redacted in copies prepared for public distribution.
- Monthly Reports for Building Permits, Business Licences and Planning Applications including business names and locations.
- Public Information Packages as prepared to meet public notification requirements for Board of Variance, Development Variance, Temporary Use Permits, Soil Permits, Floodplain Exemptions and Land Use Amendments.
- Staff Reports that have been provided as part of an open Council or Advisory Committee meeting.
Records NOT Available through Development Services include:
- Land Survey Plans. City of Castlegar no longer provides access to Land Survey Plans and State of Title Certificates. Property owners and residents should seek these plans directly from LTSA or from a lawyer, notary, land surveyor or certificate registry agent.
- Bylaw Enforcement Records. These records can only be obtained through a formal written request to the City of Castlegar Information Officer.
- Staff Reports that have been provided as part of an In-Camera Council meeting under the appropriate provisions of the Community Charter. Advisory Planning Commissions and Board of Variance are not permitted to conduct in-camera meetings under the provisions of the Community Charter.
- Property File Review. The City of Castlegar no longer provides direct access to Property Files. Property letters may be obtained for a flat base fee of $50. Property letters will include things like Official Community Plan & Zoning Designations, Building Permits that have been issued, Records of Non-compliance, Levels of Service, Heritage Property Designation, Agriculture Land Reserve Designation. To request a Property Letter please email email@example.com - Please be made aware that it may take up to 5 days to respond to your request based on the complexity of information available.
Development Services Department
460 Columbia Avenue
Castlegar, B.C. V1N 1G7