Established in 1942, the Castlegar Fire Department operates out of a centrally located fire station located at 2161 6th Avenue that was built in 1999 and a satellite station located at the West Kootenay Regional Airport. The department consists of a Fire Chief, two Deputy Fire Chiefs and two companies of Paid-On-Call Officers and Firefighters. This group of dedicated personnel represent the diversity of the community and work every day of the year to ensure the service provides high quality fire protection and life safety to meet the needs of the community. Our values are; Diversity, Respect, Trust, Equality and Teamwork. Our team members are our most valuable assets and we strive for excellence.
OUR MISSION; To protect the quality of life for present and future generations of Castlegar through interaction with our community, compassionate and professional service and an atmosphere that encourages innovation, professionalism, equality and diversity.
- CFD is a full service department and responds to fires, rescues, MVA/MVI incidents, medical first responder, hazardous materials, building alarms, aircraft emergencies and all other emergency situations
- Performs year-round fire prevention activities, such as fire inspections and community fire safety education
- Volunteer efforts in support of community activities and charitable functions
Our team consists of the Fire Chief, two Deputy Fire Chiefs and two companies of paid-on-call officers and firefighters:
Sam Lattanzio, Fire Chief
Duane Monsen, Deputy Fire Chief
Nick Ahlefeld, Deputy Fire Chief
The Castlegar Fire Department works out of a centrally located fire hall that was built in 1999. This 14,000 square foot building includes an administration and dispatch area, kitchen/lounge facility, training room, weight room, training tower, workshop and serves as the City’s primary Emergency Operation Centre.
Our facility houses the following Apparatus:
- Emergency power backup generator for the fire hall and EOC
- Ladder 1, 2017 100 foot Rosenbauer Cobra mid-mount platform with a 1750 IGPM pump
- Engine 1, 2004 Superior Spartan with a 1050 IGPM pump
- Engine 2, 1994 Volvo/Anderson with 1050 IGPM pump
- Rescue 1, 2020 Rosenbauer Freight-liner Smart Cab with a 1250 IGPM pump, First Response, Highway Rescue Unit, vehicle extrication and multi purpose response unit
- HAZMAT Support Unit
- 3 Command Vehicles
- 2 Antique fire engines E-23 and E-52
In addition, the Castlegar Fire Department operates a satellite fire station which is located at the West Kootenay Regional Airport. CFD Station #2 is equipped with an Amertek aircraft response vehicle (Red 2), an ERAC Fire Suppression trailer and a 100 bed Emergency Social Services trailer (ESS).
Answer the Call
To learn more about how to become a Canadian volunteer firefighter, and for more information on City of Castlegar Fire Department and its employment opportunities, visit www.answerthecall.ca.
- City of Castlegar Emergency Pages
- Campsite Requirements and Burn Permit Information
- FireSmart Canada
- Put Yourself in Our Boots Campaign and Video
- Government of BC Fire Safety Website
- Government of BC Wildfire Information