As Fire Prevention Week™ approaches, Castlegar Fire Department reminds residents that “Fire won’t wait. Plan your escape.™”
Castlegar Fire Department is teaming up with the National Fire Protection Association® (NFPA®) to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Fire Prevention Week™, October 9-15, 2022.
This year’s Fire Prevention Week campaign, “Fire won’t wait. Plan your escape,™” works to educate everyone about simple, but important, actions they can take to keep themselves and those around them safe from home fires.
“Today’s homes burn faster than ever. You may have as little as two minutes (or even less time) to safely escape a home fire from the time the smoke alarm sounds. Your ability to get out of a home during a fire depends on the early warning from smoke alarms and advance planning,” said Lorraine Carli, Vice President of Outreach and Advocacy at NFPA.
The Castlegar Fire Department encourages all residents to embrace the 2022 Fire Prevention Week theme.
“It’s important for everyone to plan and practice a home fire escape. Everyone needs to be prepared in advance so that they know what to do when the smoke alarm sounds. Given that every home is different, every fire escape plan will be different,” said City of Castlegar Director of Protective Services and Fire Chief, Sam Lattanzio. “Have a plan for everyone in the home. Children, older adults, and people with disabilities may need assistance to wake up and get out. Make sure that someone will help them!”
KEY FIRE ESCAPE PLANNING TIPS FOR YOUR HOME:
• Make sure your plan meets the needs of all your family members, including those with sensory or physical disabilities;
• Smoke alarms should be installed inside every sleeping room, outside each separate sleeping area, and on every level of your home. Smoke alarms should be interconnected so that when one sounds, they all sound;
• Know at least two ways out of every room, if possible. Make sure all doors and windows open easily;
• Have an outside meeting place a safe distance from your home; and
• Practice your home fire drill at least twice a year with everyone in the household, including guests. Practice at least once during the day and at night.
To support this year’s Fire Prevention Week campaign, Castlegar Fire Department will be going to our local schools and daycares to talk about planning an escape in the event of a fire in your home.
Learn more about Fire Prevention Week, and fire prevention in general, by visiting www.fpw.org and www.sparky.org
For more information
Castlegar Fire Department
250 365 3266