Pre-construction Work Set to Begin on Columbia Avenue Redevelopment – Phase 2
Copcan Civil Ltd., the contractor for the Columbia Avenue Redevelopment Project – Phase 2, expects to begin pre-construction work this week.
Residents can expect to see workers mobilizing equipment and setting up Copcan Civil Ltd.’s offices at 2165 Columbia Avenue, surveying, removing trees, confirming locations of existing utilities, and installing project signage. These activities may result in minor traffic delays.
“We are happy the contractor can start pre-construction work since the weather is warming up and we do not have much snow,” says Travis Christianson, the City’s Manager of Engineering & Infrastructure. “Larger construction activities such as asphalt removal and excavating are expected to begin March 1.”
All project inquires should be directed to Copcan Civil Ltd. at firstname.lastname@example.org or 778.363.2538.
Last month, the City and Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure hosted an online open house to provide an opportunity to learn more, ask questions and discuss concerns. The City encourages residents to visit castlegar.ca/phase2 to sign-up for email updates about the project and find the most current information.
The Columbia Avenue Redevelopment Project – Phase 2 includes:
- adding a two-way center turn lane to improve vehicle safety and traffic flow;
- providing safe cycle lanes for cyclists and other active transportation users;
- repaving Columbia Avenue/Highway 22;
- replacing aging and undersized storm sewer mains and installing new storm drainage infrastructure including curb and gutter;
- replacing aging water mains and services;
- installing street trees, banner poles, street furniture & improving bus facilities; and
- connecting existing and new sidewalks.
Columbia Avenue Redevelopment – Phase 2 is a project between the City of Castlegar and the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure to complete upgrades to Columbia Avenue/Highway 22 from 18th to 24th Street. The project is expected to be complete by Fall 2021.
For More Information
Bree Seabrook, Communications Manager
City of Castlegar
250 304 8133