Castlegar Reopens Outdoor Recreation Facilities
The City of Castlegar is reopening many of its outdoor recreational facilities for casual game play in conjunction with the second phase of British Columbia’s Restart Plan.
Starting Friday, May 22, tennis and pickleball courts and the dog parks at Millennium Park and Ponds will reopen to public use.
On Monday, May 25, the following will re-open:
- Volleyball courts at Millennium Park & Ponds
- Tennis courts at the Castlegar & District Recreation Complex
- Ball facilities at Kinnaird Park (Field 1, Field 2, Pony Field, & Mosquito Field), Kinnaird Middle School Field, and the Castlegar & District Recreation Complex Field
“Our outdoor recreation spaces are such an important part of this great community,” said Mayor Bruno Tassone. “I’m happy we’ve reached a point where we can re-open these facilities and I’m confident the community will use them in a safe manner so they can remain open.”
Playgrounds remain closed at this time. The City is seeking guidance from the BC Recreation & Parks Association to determine when and how these can be re-opened safely.
Public washrooms at the City’s recreation facilities will reopen within the next couple of weeks. Social distancing protocols will be in place and cleaning will be done based on the B.C. Ministry of Health’s Cleaning and Disinfecting for Public Settings guidelines.
With the re-opening of some outdoor recreation facilities, the City is asking everyone to continue to follow provincial health guidelines, including:
- stay home if you’re feeling unwell
- practice physical distancing by keeping at least two metres space
- wash your hands thoroughly – consider bringing hand sanitizer with you
- avoid touching your face
- cough or sneeze into your elbow or tissue
- limit use at busy times and do not create crowds
- consider wearing a non-medical mask
View more information on the City’s response to COVID-19 at castlegar.ca/covid19.
The City of Castlegar is a service centre in the West Kootenay. The diversified and growing economy is focused on the forestry, energy and mining sectors in the valley, and commercial services in the City. Quality of life features backcountry adventure and an increasingly dynamic urban culture, including the Millennium Park & Ponds and Sculpture Walk.
For more information, please contact: