Communications & Engagement Survey Results - #WeHearYouCastlegar
At the City of Castlegar, we’re not perfect and that’s why we asked the community how we can improve. We’re excited to share the results from our first community-wide communications & engagement survey.
Improving communications and engagement is a priority in our Strategic Plan. This summer we partnered with Selkirk College’s Applied Research & Innovation Centre to gather feedback through an online and mail-in survey to better understand how people are currently getting information and how we can tailor our communications to get residents the information they want, when and how they want it.
Over 350 people from across all age groups and neighbourhoods participated in the survey, providing statistically representative results and giving us a sense of what’s working well and where we can improve.
This is what you told us:
- Over half of respondents are informed about City activities.
- Most people get information from social and print media and word of mouth.
- You want information on City projects, events, emergency alerts, snow removal & garbage collection.
- You want information sooner and feel announcements are not always on time.
- Many of you want information via email – something we don’t currently do.
- Younger residents want to engage with the City on Instagram.
- Engagement should happen in a variety of ways but the best options are online surveys, the City’s Facebook page and pop-up events.
- 1 in 5 of you have a hard time finding what you want on our website and don’t think it’s easy to use.
We’re having fun reviewing everything we heard and plan to make changes to the way we share information. Think email newsletter and more information on the topics you care about, sooner.
If you’re like us and want to learn more, we hope you’ll read the full survey report here.
The City of Castlegar is a service centre in the West Kootenay. The diversified and growing economy is focused on the forestry, energy and mining sectors in the valley, and commercial services in the City. Quality of life features backcountry adventure and an increasingly dynamic urban culture, including the Millennium Park & Ponds and Sculpture Walk.
For Additional Information:
250 304 8133