Construction Begins on Phase 2 of the Columbia Avenue Redevelopment Project
Construction on the Columbia Avenue Redevelopment Project – Phase 2 gets underway Monday, March 1.
The project starts with work between 18th and 21st Streets. In the first week of construction, crews will be marking out existing infrastructure, clearing brush and trees, and removing asphalt. Throughout March residents can expect to see:
- Asphalt removal, excavation and water and sewer utility installation;
- Changes in traffic flows, including shifted two-way and single lane alternating traffic when necessary; and
- Possible temporary relocation of BC Transit bus stops.
The contractor is taking several steps to minimize impacts to residents, businesses and commuters but some delays are inevitable. To reduce traffic congestion during the day, some work will be done during the evening & night, with restrictions to timing, noise and light. Access to residences and businesses will always be maintained.
“We appreciate the community’s patience while completing these important infrastructure upgrades,” says Travis Christianson, the City’s Manager of Engineering & Infrastructure. “The new water and sewer lines are replacing aging infrastructure from the 1960s and this project provides an opportunity to improve active transportation, accessibility and aesthetics.”
“We’re really looking forward to this Castlegar project,” says Don Kelly, Copcan Civil Ltd’s Site Supervisor. “We have a small and hard working team dedicated to making it a success.”
Visit castlegar.ca/phase2 to sign-up for email updates about the project and find current information. All project inquires should be directed to Copcan Civil Ltd. at email@example.com or 778.363.2538.
Columbia Avenue Redevelopment Project – Phase 2 is a joint project between the City of Castlegar and the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure. The Project includes upgrades to Columbia Avenue/Highway 22 from 18th to 24th Streets and is expected to be complete by Fall 2021.
The Columbia Avenue Redevelopment Project – Phase 2 includes:
- adding a two-way center turn lane to improve vehicle safety and traffic flow;
- providing safe cycle lanes for cyclists and other active transportation users;
- repaving Columbia Avenue/Highway 22;
- replacing aging and undersized storm sewer mains and installing new storm drainage infrastructure including curb and gutter;
- replacing aging water mains and services;
- installing street trees, banner poles, street furniture & improving bus facilities; and
- connecting existing and new sidewalks.
For More Information
Bree Seabrook, Communications Manager
City of Castlegar
250 304 8133