Home Owner Grants
As of January 1, 2021, the Province of British Columbia will be administering the Home Owner Grant.
For the most current information, visit www.gov.bc.ca/homeownergrant.
What this means:
- The Province will be entirely responsible for the home owner grant program for the 2021 tax year.
- All homeowners will apply directly to the Province online or over the phone.
- The provincial application will be available early in 2021, subject to the deposit of the regulations. Work on the regulations is currently underway.
- Starting January 1, 2021, the City can no longer accept retroactive or new applications for the grant and instead direct homeowners to www.gov.bc.ca/homeownergrant or call 1-888-355-2700 to speak with an agent.
Centralizing this program within the B.C. government will:
- Ensure homeowners receive the grant amount they are eligible for, such as the additional grant for seniors or persons with a disability.
- Automate the approval process for grants resulting in quicker application processing – this will help prevent ineligible homeowners from being penalized for late property tax payment.
- Remove an administrative burden from municipalities.
- Increase tax compliance, ensuring people are paying the right amount of tax.
Retroactive Home Owner Grant:
- Retro Home Owner Grants will also be need to be claimed through the Province of BC website.
- If you forgot to apply for your Home Owner Grant last year, you may be able to receive a retroactive home owner grant:
- You qualified for the grant on December 31 of last year. For example, you have until December 31, 2021 to claim the 2020 home owner grant.
- You are still the registered owner of the property
Questions? Please contact the Provincial Property Taxation Branch:
Toll Free: 1-888-355-2700